This post contains affiliate links. If you click through and make a purchase, the Friendship Bread Kitchen may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Whole wheat flour and bran make this recipe for Apple Orange Whole Wheat Amish Friendship Bread fiber-rich, and the orange zest adds a tangy zing.
To learn more about baking Amish Friendship Bread with whole wheat flour, check out this FAQ: Baking with Whole Wheat Flour.
Apple Orange Whole Wheat Amish Friendship Bread
- 1 cup Amish Friendship Bread Starter
- ⅔ cup flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ cup wheat bran
- ½ cup butter softened
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 apple peeled, cored and diced
- rind of 3 oranges grated
- ⅔ cup walnuts chopped
- Cinnamon-Sugar Mixture
- Preheat oven to 325° F (165° C).
- In large bowl combine dry ingredients except walnuts.
- In another bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and blend. Stir in apples, orange rind and starter.
- Add dry ingredients to wet mixture and combine. Let the batter rest for 20 minutes. Grease two large loaf pans and dust with Cinnamon-Sugar mixture.
- Fold in walnuts
- Pour the batter evenly into loaf or cake pans and sprinkle the remaining Cinnamon-Sugar mixture on the top.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the bread loosens evenly from the sides and a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.
>> Have you tried this? Share your best pic with us or leave a comment below and let us know how it worked for you!