A fun, hearty Amish Friendship Bread variation reminiscent of the apple spice breads.
Apple Spice Amish Friendship Bread
Friendship Bread Kitchen: Friendship Bread Kitchen
Yields: 2 loaves
- 1 cup Amish Friendship Bread starter
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ⅓ cup oil
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 large apple, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ¾ cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup currants
- Preheat oven to 325° F (165° C).
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients.
- In another bowl, cream oil and brown sugar. Add eggs, milk, applesauce, apples and starter.
- Stir oats, walnuts and currants into dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients to dry and combine just enough to moisten all.
- Spoon into greased pans that have been dusted with a cinnamon-sugar mixture of ½ cup sugar and 1½ teaspoon cinnamon.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the bread loosens evenly from the sides and a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.
The whole-wheat flour and oats give this sweet bread a nuttier, wholesome taste and texture.