1/2 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanillla extract
3 cups sifted powdered sugar
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt butter.
- Stir in brown sugar and salt. Bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in the milk and vanilla.
- Return to heat and bring to a boil while stirring.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool. Stir in powdered sugar and beat to desired consistency.
From Paula Altenbach (Colorado Springs, CO): “I decided to give the powdered sugar a nice sift before adding it to the caramel mixture. It blended smooth and creamy. This was a whiz to make using my 22 year old kitchen aid mixer. This recipe generously topped 4 loaves of Coffee-Toffee Amish Friendship Bread with some to spare!”