We love how moist and fragrant this Banana Vanilla Chai Amish Friendship Bread Coffee Cake is! Submitted by Kitchen Friend Veronica Miller, it’s topped with a chai streusel that gives the coffee cake a spicy crunch. This is a great way to use up any extra starter — take it into the office or book club meeting and get ready for the compliments to start rolling in.
A quick note: I only share links that I love and personally use. This post contains affiliate or commission links which support the Friendship Bread Kitchen if you click or buy. Thank you!
Banana Vanilla Chai Amish Friendship Bread Coffee Cake
- Preheat oven to 350° F (175° C).
- Generously butter a 9” x 13” cake pan and set aside.
- Make the chai streusel: combine the sugars, vanilla bean seeds, cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, cloves, nutmeg and salt in a small mixing bowl; stirring with a fork until well combined. Stir in the walnuts, then pour the butter over the top and mix until combined. Add the flour and mix until incorporated. Set aside.
- Make the coffee cake batter: mash the bananas in a large mixing bowl. Whisk in the melted butter until completely incorporated, then add eggs, sour cream, starter and vanilla until combined. Add the remaining ingredients and beat until well mixed.
- Pour batter into the prepared cake pan and sprinkle the streusel over the top.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm or at room temperature. Cover leftovers with plastic wrap.
>> Have you tried this? Share your best pic with us or leave a comment below and let us know how it worked for you!