Submitted by: Debbi Smith | Debbi Does Dinner Healthy
“An Amish Friendship Bread twist to this dessert favorite! Serve it with a scoop of your favorite vanilla ice cream!”
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Yield: 2 loaves
1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 bananas)
1 cup packed brown sugar, divided
5 tablespoons butter, divided
1 1/2 tablespoons rum extract or 3 tablespoons dark rum
1/2 cup Amish Friendship Bread Starter
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon allspice
- Preheat oven to 325° F (165° C).
- Combine banana, 1/2 cup brown sugar, butter and rum extract in a sauce pan. Cook over medium heat until mixture starts to bubble, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and pour into a large bowl.
- Once cooled, add Amish Friendship Bread starter, the remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar and egg. Mix thoroughly until well incorporated.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and allspice. Add flour mixture to banana mixture and beat until just blended. Pour batter into greased pans.
- Bake for about 50 – 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool then drizzle with Rum Glaze.
Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream dusted with cinnamon!