Recipe at a Glance
- omit cinnamon
- add 2 teaspoons almond extract
- add 1/2 cup chopped red cherries
- add 1/2 cup chopped green cherries
- add 1/2 cup diced dried mango
- add 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- add marzipan or almond paste
Christmas Stollen Amish Friendship Bread
Yields: 2 loaves
- 1 cup Amish Friendship Bread Starter
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup oil
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups flour
- 1-2 small boxes instant vanilla pudding
- ½ cup chopped red cherries
- ½ cup chopped green cherries
- ½ cup diced dried mango
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 3 ounces marzipan or almond paste
- Preheat oven to 325° F (165° C).
- In a large mixing bowl, add ingredients as listed.
- Grease two large loaf pans.
- Pour half of batter in greased pan lined with sugar. Lay a strip of marzipan or almond paste along length of bread. Top with remaining batter.
- Bake for one hour or until the bread loosens evenly from the sides and a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.
- Once cool, sprinkle with powdered sugar.
While we loved how much this tasted like the real thing, you can also make this recipe without the marzipan/almond paste addition.