“Serve these flavorful, cheesy rolls with your favorite chicken recipe.”
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 24 rolls
1 1/2 cups Amish Friendship Bread Starter
2 cups cottage cheese
2 tablespoons finely minced onion
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup freshly minced dill weed or 1 tablespoon dried dill weed
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 eggs, well beaten
5 cups flour
2 egg whites
1/4 cup sesame seeds
- In a saucepan or in the microwave, heat cottage cheese to lukewarm.
- In a large bowl, combine cottage cheese, onion, butter, dill, salt, soda and egg. Mix well.
- Mix in starter.
- Add flour one cup at a time until dough is stiff.
- Cover bowl and let dough rest for one hour.
- Punch down dough and then with oily hands, for dough into 24 balls.
- Grease a muffin tin.
- Place each ball of dough in a muffin cup.
- Cover and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350° F (175° C).
- Before putting in the oven, brush each roll with egg white and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
From Amy: “I only added three cups of flour as five just seemed like too much, and the dough was pretty stiff after three. I doubled the amount of dill and onion and added a couple of minced garlic cloves. I had to bake for about 35 minutes instead of 20, but the result was a tasty, dense muffin.”
From Jodie Robinson: “I don’t really care for cottage cheese so I ended up going with a mixture of feta cheese and cheddar, with heavy cream to make up the rest of the moisture and get it to the 2 cups. They’re delicious, and really soaked up the liquid from the soup.”