“A sweet, spicy and creamy bread that’s perfect for your next gathering.”
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Yield: 2 loaves
1 cup Amish Friendship Bread Starter
1/2 cup melted butter
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon Mexican vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups flour
1 small box cream cheese instant pudding (use vanilla or pumpkin spice if not available)
1/2 cup fresh pumpkin, mashed
- Preheat oven to 325° F (165° C).
- In a large mixing bowl, add ingredients as listed.
- Grease two large loaf pans.
- Dust the greased pans with half of the sugar-cinnamon mixture of 1/2 cup sugar and 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Pour the batter evenly into loaf or cake pans and sprinkle the remaining sugar-cinnamon mixture on the top.
- Bake for one hour or until the bread loosens evenly from the sides and a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.
From Elizabeth Thums: “I used 1/2 cup homemade vanilla pudding. In place of cheesecake pudding, I beat 8 oz. softened cream cheese and 1/2 cup sour cream together and folded it into the batter. The spicy flavors of the bread were an excellent accompaniment to drinking cinnamon-infused Turkish coffee.”