Submitted by: Friendship Bread Kitchen
Image (c) Friendship Bread Kitchen
“Whether spread with berry butter or served warm from the oven, these scones are a wonderful breakfast treat!”
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 12-15 minutes
Yield: 8 scones
1 cup Amish Friendship Bread Starter
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1-1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup chilled butter
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 cup raisins or currants (optional)
2 tablespoons turbinado sugar for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400° F (200° C).
- In a mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt.
- With a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in center of dry mixture; set aside.
- In another bowl combine starter, pumpkin and egg. Add egg mixture all at once to dry mixture. Using a fork, stir just until moistened. Knead in raisins or currants.
- Turn out dough onto lightly floured surface. Shape into 4” x 12” rectangle. Cut rectangle into quarters (4” x 3”) and cut each piece on the diagonal to form 8 wedges.
- Place wedges 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheet. Top with turbinado sugar if desired.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until golden.
- Serve warm with berry butter.
L to R: (c) Friendship Bread Kitchen; (c) Amanda Foster Griffith; (c) Jennifer Prior