Is this the year you want to eat healthier, but don’t want to give up your Amish Friendship Bread? Us too!
We’re making this year the year of healthier Amish Friendship Bread options. This means more recipes with less oil, less eggs and less sugar, as well as a host of gluten-free and dairy-free options. You shouldn’t have to give up flavor and a love for Amish Friendship Bread because you’re trying to eat better, right?
This Pumpkin Cranberry Walnut Amish Friendship Bread is oil-free. We loved the way it turned out but if you want to boost the moisture, add one packet of pumpkin spice instant pudding, or ½ cup softened butter. Eating healthier means moderate adjustments to your favorite recipes, so figure out what works best for you. We want you to feel good about baking Amish Friendship Bread and sharing the recipe with others!
We usually keep our starter in this 72-ounce Bormioli Rocco Fido Square Jar, but lots of people prefer storing their starter in mixing bowls. This past month we had a lot of starters going on, so in addition to our main starter jar we had several mixing bowls, too. Instead of covering it with plastic wrap, we used this 100% food-grade silicone lid (BPA free, of course), which kept a seal just by placing it on top of our bowl.
It’s fast and easy to mix this recipe up. We wondered if it might be too dry, but our oil-adverse testers thought it was perfect. It tasted even better the next day–just pop it in the toaster oven. Enjoy!
Pumpkin Cranberry Oil-Free Amish Friendship Bread
- 1 cup Amish Friendship Bread Starter
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin spice
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup walnuts (coarsly chopped)
- 1 cup fresh cranberries (tossed in sugar)
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- Preheat oven to 325° F (165° C).
- In a large mixing bowl, add ingredients as listed, reserving half of the candied cranberries.
- Grease one large cake pan.
- Dust the greased pans with a mixture of ½ cup sugar and ½ teaspoon cinnamon.
- Pour the batter evenly into loaf or cake pans and sprinkle the remaining sugar-cinnamon mixture on the top.
- Top with candied cranberries.
- Bake for one hour to 70 minutes or until the bread loosens evenly from the sides and a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.
>> Have you tried this? Share your best pic with us or leave a comment below and let us know how it worked for you!